Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Knitting Fitfully

I love knitting. I learned to knit right before I got pregnant with my oldest son, who just turned 5. It's been a journey of starts and stops with lots of projects started and abandoned. Ideas and obsessions have come and gone. At times I've been discouraged, dismayed, frustrated and sometimes just plain out of time. But I've kept on because I've learned that some things are still worth doing even if they are done imperfectly.

I crave knitting. I truly miss it if I go too long without a project. If knitting is mentioned in a book or shown in a movie, I pick up on it right away. I see sweaters, hats, scarfs, dishtowels, blankets, shawls, and think, "I wonder how hard that would be?"... Most of the time the answer is "too hard" but sometimes I locate a free pattern, find an online tutorial, learn something new and am rewarded with a treasure.

My style of knitting would probably fall in a "knitting for the rest of us" category. I don't eat, sleep and breathe knitting. I have other loves and hobbies. I can't bear to spend oodles of money on yarn and gadgets. I've never paid a dime for a pattern and hope I never will. Thus far I've been successful at finding free patterns online. I've rarely paid full-price for needles or yarn either because I've hit a sale, used a coupon, or gotten lucky at the thrift store.

With two boys, I just don't have the time for complicated patterns. Sometimes I just want to knit for the sake of knitting and see my work come to fruition in a reasonable amount of time! I need to be able to set my knitting down at a moment's notice and be able to pick it back up and know where I'm at. I've learned that, for now anyway, fanciful, complicated yarns and intricate patterns just aren't in the cards for me. Some day, when the boys are older, maybe. Who knows, maybe not!

So, if you like to knit, or would like to learn, and often feel overwhelmed by all of the information and expectations (that we place on ourselves), drop by. Share your projects and tips and I'll share mine!

1 comment: